Thursday, October 18, 2012

Ignorance is a choice

I'm laying in bed right now recovering from a cold. When I talk to people about how to get better I seem to get all this conflicting information. I go online and look up how to recover from a cold and all the information I need to get better is displayed before my eyes. It got me thinking myths and they're so readily available for people to believe. We choose to believe what we want to believe. Even when there's credible evidence to contradict our beliefs people still persist. That isn't necessarily a bad thing we should have confidence in what we believe.



As it turns out some myths are based in fact. Chicken soup actually does work to break up congestion and helps prevent dehydration. But when it comes down to it the reason that it helps is because it's saline water. You can gargle salt water and get the same results if you have a sore throat, but I like chicken soup so I was glad to find out that it wasn't complete bullshit.

Of course you shouldn't believe everything you read on the Internet. That's why we all are installed with bullshit detectors. We are all good at detecting patterns and when you start to see something looks like bullshit it probably is. You should trust your own observations. We self correct. we lean on each other for determining what is real and what isn't. There are experts who can adjudicate disagreements. We can trust peer-reviewed studies. And then you need to have to have the courage to tell people that they are wrong all the while knowing you could be wrong yourself. They might consider you an asshole but in the end it's worth it. We can't move forward unless we're willing to call people out on their bullshit. No mater how good the intent being truthful is better.

No comments: